The name Success is one of the oldest names in Western Australian colonial history.
In 1827 Captain James Stirling sailed out of Sydney Harbour en route to the Swan River, to explore it as a site for settlement. His ship was named the H.M.S Success, and the survey was profitable.
HMS Success and Captain Jervoise
The Success visited WA shores again in late 1829, under Captain William Jervoise. This time there was some drama: the ship ran aground on a sandbank in Cockburn Sound and had to be completely rebuilt, which was done using sturdy Western Australian jarrah. The sandbank was named Success Bank, and Captain Jervoise gave his name to the little bay south of Woodman Point.
Modern Success was part of a land grant to George Dunnage in 1829. He built a cottage, several outhouses and a well, and cleared a road to the Clarence townsite near Woodman Point.
Jandakot Agricultural Area
Sharing a similar history to neighbouring Hammond Park
, Success was once part of the large-scale Jandakot Agricultural Area
, first opened for settlement in 1890. Over the years, the area was cleared for agriculture, the wetlands were partially drained, and several small-scale market gardeners made their living growing vegetables, fruit, and poultry on their holdings. Until the 1990s the land was predominantly used for market gardening.
Some early names associated with the Success area are Harold Warthwyke, H. Mather, Michael Gilbride, Augustus Falke, John McMurray Lyon and G.W. Stubbs, and the parcel of land granted to Frederick Lewington
in 1894 was situated on the border of modern-day Success and Beeliar
, beside Thomsons Lake.
The name Success was approved as a suburb in 1973, but housing development didn’t begin until the 1990s. The freeway was extended to Forrest Road in 1991, after which Forrest Road was realigned and renamed Armadale Road on the eastern side and Beeliar Drive on the west.
Gateways Shopping Centre was was proposed in 1997 as part of a master plan to build a sports stadium and residential hub, with the potential to become the home of the Dockers.
The shopping centre was completed in 1999, but it would take another 15 years until the sporting centre became a reality, with the Cockburn ARC and Dockers training ground opening in 2017.