Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are warned that this website may contain images and voices of deceased persons.

Bailey's store, Spearwood

In December 1965, Dolores Bailey held an official opening for the relocated Bailey's of Spearwood, a general store that had been serving the market gardeners and residents of Spearwood since 1924.

The original Bailey's store was on Mell Road in Spearwood, and the new store opened on Rockingham Road just south of the Spearwood railway crossing. The location is now a petrol station and liquor store.

Below is a reproduction of an article published in the Cockburn District News, a local magazine produced by the East Hamilton Hill Progress Association.

Bailey's of Spearwood

40 years of storekeeping

Bailey's store, Spearwood, 1965
The Bailey family came to Spearwood in 1924 and purchased a store. This was the era of the horse and cart, and apart from being a grocery storce, produce, grain and stock foods were handled. In these early days the store was owned and managed by Mr. Walter Bailey.

As Spearwood developed into a market-gardening area, business increased and a post office was established, necessitating more staff. Mr. Reg Armstrong has been with the firm for twenty-four years and Mr. Wal. Taylor for nineteen years. 

It is of interest to note that a tennis court on the same property, adjoining the business, was instrumental in forming the first Spearwood Tennis Club.

In 1940 management was taken over by Mr. Jack Bailey. 

The war years brought increased demand for vegetables for the armed services and consequently for larger stocks of garden requirements. In the post-war years with the prospect of further development in the district, Mr. Bailey obtained the first gallon license [liquor store license] in the area and planned a larger and more central store in Rockingham Road.

In January 1943, the business was taken over by Miss Dolores Bailey. Under her talented management for the past few years, the need for new premises has become more apparent. Thus after 40 years the ambition for a new store has materialised. Centrally located in Rockingham Road adjoining the Shell garage at the Spearwood railway crossing, this was officially opened on December 6, and apart from groceries, postal, Hospital Benefit and banking services, new lines include a complete range of Continental and frozen foods for the home; for the garden, sprays, insecticides, seeds and all market-garden requirements; for the handy-man, hardware and paints. Deliveries are free weekly.

Worthy of mention is the gallon license department, which is very attractive and has a pleasing variety of liqueurs on display.

As a special Christmas offer, cases of liquor are available to all at reduced rates.

Congratulations are extended to Miss Bailey upon her enterprise, and best wishes for a successful future.

 

Print Form

Submit information about this article

All fields are required except where indicated
 
Social Media Share Links below open in a new window

Contact

Address

9 Coleville Crescent,
Spearwood 6163

Po Box 1215, Bibra Lake DC,
Western Australia, 6965

Visit the City of Cockburn homepage